Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday Roundup

It's week two of the theater class Pammy is teaching at St. Phillips. Actually it's more of a musical theater class that she's teaching. The kids are doing great and really developing their confidence and performing skills.  Lots of breakthroughs have happened for the kids in just the past four days.

I did a couple of Doc Ed shows this week. One of them was a last minute booking that I was able to cover over at the Botanical Center. But the one I enjoyed the most was the one I did over at Valley Hi Elementary. The kids were making me laugh just as much as I made them. They also asked a lot of questions and normally I try to keep the questions until the end but in this case it felt okay to stop to answer their questions. Summer camps can also be a challenge because the kids are there to have fun and not in the mindset to learn about how an aquifer forms. I was pleasantly surprised because they wanted to learn so I took my time and let the show flow at a different pace. It worked out really well. 


I owe a lot of the success I've had with these presentations to the years I spent entertaining kids at birthday parties. You have to really think on your feet in those settings. I've had some rough gigs as many of us in this line of work have had. Some folks don't have much respect for those who entertain at birthdays but if you put one of them in that kind of environment to do a show they wouldn't fare very well.

And I don't want to forget to mention the voice over gig I got this week. That's the kind of work that will hopefully be a bigger part of our future. This afternoon I picked up a couple of dvd collections of Saturday morning cartoons from the 1960's. Some of the best voices ever are on those cartoons.

Anywho, that's all for now. Have a good weekend!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...