Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Checking Out the Classic Theater of San Antonio


A couple of shots from near the top seats where we sat on "house right".

A really nice program clearly indicative of a healthy theater budget. Fancy schmancy!

My, my how the weekend tends to fly by in the blink of an eye! We had a busy but fun Saturday followed by a very relaxing Sunday. On Saturday night, Pammy and I , along with our good friend Charles Masceli, saw the Classic Theater's production of "The Lion in Winter". I went with doubts in my mind as to the quality of what I was about to see but I'm happy to report I was disappointed. The production was well done. The acting was strong and the production values were high as well. There was even an Equity (union) actor in the ranks. Hopefully his presence is the beginning of a trend for local actors.



My only negative critique of the production has nothing to do with performance itself but the way in which the seating for the audience was arranged. The seats were raked, that is, the seats nearest to the stage were floor level then gradually rose via platforms the further they were from the front of the stage. The rake as it was made it difficult to see any action that took place down stage. I don't know how difficult it would be to adjust the rake but it would make a big difference in the audience's enjoyment of the play. The only other solution would be to stage the action a little further upstage away from the audience which would reduce in size what is already a modest stage or maybe install a Jumbotron... but that would be silly, of course...wouldn't it?

The house itself was packed and at ten to twenty dollars a pop they made a good bit of change that night. It's got a loyal audience and that's great. Given the quality of the production I can see why. The Classic Theater doesn't pinch it's pennies so bravo to you. All's well that ends well. I look forward to my next visit there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...