Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mid-week Stuff

Edu-taining the 3rd and 4th graders at Schenck Elementary. Wasn't Schenck the fourth Stooge?

I like your style Schenck!


The school is a little over fifty years old with a student body of around six hundred.

The school was cheerful and inviting.

The owl is Schenck's mascot.

Hey, can you feel spring in the air? It feels good! Well, Pammy started of this spring-like day doing a quick voiceover at Raining Popcorn Media. There aren't any Doc Ed chores for me today so I can stay home to take care of Jose who seems to have a stomach bug that I hope he wont share with me.

Yesterday I had the best time presenting the Doc Edwards Amazing Aquifer Adventure show for the 3rd and 4th graders at Schenck Elementary. The kids were great and the teachers were really enthusiastic. Often times I do my shows in a classroom but there are times when I get to be on a stage which really makes a difference. The custodian there, Freddy, was great, offering to set up the stage lights for me. I clowned around a bit more than usual for the show but it just seemed like the mood was right for it and the audience responded positively to it.

Its always a tricky balancing act between education and entertainment when you do these kind of shows. My feeling is that there are plenty of great teachers educating children in the traditional, straight -forward manner. My strength is on the funny side of the business so quite naturally I play to those strengths as often as I can so the kids will take an interest in what I have to share. And as a very wise nanny once sang, " A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...