Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Week So Far


This week started off early in the day for me and my whole family. I had an 8a.m. Doc Ed show that turned out not to start till 9a.m. but at least I wasn't late like I thought I was. I was at De Zavala Elementary along with my fellow educational presenter Sarah. We had four separate groups of fifth grader's to do our respective shows for that morning. We each did two and I started it off. There were twenty or so fifth graders sitting on the floor of the science room where we were.

Just a couple of minutes into my first presentation a boy sitting in the second row made what sounded like a sneeze which he appeared to try to suppress with both hands. As it turns out the sneeze was instead projectile vomiting which landed squarely on the back of the girl directly in front of him. There was some peripheral splattering to a couple of kids sitting to his left and right resulting from his attempt at covering his mouth. The world stood still for a moment then I realized had been usurped by a pre-tween's virus inspired faux pas.

Within seconds a wide perimeter formed around the boy who still sat there aghast at what had happened and the large primordial puddle inches from where he sat "criss- cross, apple sauce". The girl who had sat in front of him had already left for the restroom and after a bit of coaxing he left too. We were now left to deal with the puddle. My instinct as a performer told me to continue. The show must go on. Still, there was that puddle between me and my audience. My parental instincts shifted into gear so I made a vain attempt at cleaning up the mess like I had done so many times for my own kids but only went as far as squirting dishwashing liquid on the puddle. I had realized there were trained professionals in the building who could tend to it in an efficient and detached manner. Seconds after the custodian arrived he removed the puddle so quickly I can't recall how he did it.

Doc Ed went on with the show. I hope the boy did too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...