Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

File vs. File


This has turned out to be a quiet week for me here at Rancho Ramirez. I've no Doc Ed presentations scheduled till next week and no illustration deadlines to meet so my attention has turned to spring cleaning. It's all about sweeping, dusting and mopping for the next few days. While taking a break from my domestic duties, I decided it was a good time to clean out my file cabinet. Yes, I still have one of those and will continue to have one because going through computer files isn't fun at all.

Take the caricatures pictured above, which I found while looking through a folder I had forgotten about. It had a number of caricatures I had drawn back when I was intent on being a
caricature artist despite the fact that I don't enjoy drawing or painting portraits all that much. Its not just finding the long lost illustrations that puts a smile on my face but it's also feeling the paper, noticing the stains and creases on the sheet and how it's yellowed since I last looked at it. The senses take over and then the memories kick in. I remember the stack of Rolling Stone and Starlog magazines I used for finding the right subjects to draw. I still have those magazines too. Naturally, I start looking through them as well bringing back more memories, some of which are a little more faded than others but more or less still intact. You can't get that kind of experience with a computer. I'll post some more of those caricatures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...