Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Barnum Museum Exhibit 1995

The invitation sent out announcing the exhibit. Neat!




Article about the exhibit in the New York Times.



A look into the exhibit area displaying the paintings and other art pieces for the show.


There are my pieces in the company of some really amazing circus art some of which made by some famous circus clowns like Emmett Kelly Sr. .

Here's a closer look at the section with my art. There's a really nice portrait of David Larible, who was the featured clown on the shop at that time and for many years later and to its right is the poster for the Big Apple Circus for that years tour featuring Barry Lubin's "Grandma" character and the world famous Mummenschanz mime troupe.


Back in 1995, while the Ringling Red Unit was touring the east coast, I got to show some of my clown art in an exhibit curated by the Barnum Museum in Bridgeport, Connecticut. As I recall, they saw a photo of me taken for the circus program holding a portrait of Pammy in clown- face. The idea that year was that they (Ringling) wanted to show the public what some of the performers did for fun or hobbies when not performing. It was a good gimmick and it got me included in the exhibit. I managed to get two pieces in the show. One was of Pammy and the other was of Barry Lubin, the featured clown on the Big Apple Circus for years and guest instructor at the RBBBC Clown College in 1993.

The exhibit happened a few weeks after our run in New York City and while we were still nearby a number of the alley, including myself, were sent to the Barnum Museum for a publicity event. I've got a clipping of an article with a photo of us somewhere and I'll post that as soon as I find it. It's surprising how easy it is to misplace things when they accumulate. Funny.

Anywho, the exhibit was popular enough to be extended beyond its run and I wonder if they ever did it again. If ever we're in that part of the country again and I suspect we eventually will, I'll have to pop in and ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...