Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

COOKIE! COOKIE! COOKIE!

A few years back, around 1997, I got a job at a educational television expo. I'd be posing for pictures at the Children's Television Workshop section as the Cookie Monster. I'd done work as costumed characters before and it's always a challenge especially when you can't speak and your face is covered. Of course, it is also a tad bit warm. I can't recall how I got the job. I'm pretty sure it wasn't through an agency. More than likely it was because of a word- of- mouth recommendation which have gotten us a lot of work over the years.

This job was special to me, though, because it was as close as I would get to being a puppeteer on Sesame Street( which has always been a dream) seeing as how we had no plans to live in New York. Before I went out into the performing area I was instructed to keep the spirit of the character in mind and at no time would I speak. No problem. I had a lot of fun playing the part of this lovable character that I grew up watching.
I kept my movements slow, small and simple, keeping in mind the presence of children and posed for loads of pictures.

The costume itself seemed very light and relatively comfortable. The neat thing about it was that concealed inside one hand was a control cable that operated the mouth. The folks in charge were very nice and at the end of the day I was given a Sesame Street t-shirt which I still have as a momento of that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...