Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Funny Business

I love being a clown. I really do. I love the places it's taken me and the people I've met through clowning. This afternoon I spoke over the phone, with two fellow clowns about how to build a "crying rig". If your not familiar with what that is allow me to explain. It's prop worn about the head in a concealed fashion by clowns that allows for a stream of water to shoot out towards the audience as if the clown is crying.

I'd seen them before and thought there was a place in the marionette skeleton routine
I'm doing for the variety show at Seaworld where it would be perfect . The trouble was I wasn't sure how to make one so I tried Google but came up empty handed. I did come up with a couple of names that I was familiar with: Leon "Buttons" McBryde and Peachy Keene. They're both clowns and prop builders so I decided to contact them. I asked if they sold the rigs but neither did though both knew how to make them.They were both very helpful and generous with their time and suggestions on the supplies I needed and how to build one.

That's the wonderful thing about my conversation with them. They didn't hesitate to offer their knowledge in order to help me. You don't always encounter that kind of generosity and I'm mighty happy and proud that I experienced it with my fellow clowns who don't me from Adam but were nonetheless willing to help.

The other wonderful thing about my chat with my fellow "joeys" regarded some of the things that needed to be purchased to make the rig. You need copper and clear, flexible tubing, a "t" connector and a rubber bulb to hold the water to be squirted. It's the same idea as a squirting flower but only bigger. The only thing big enough to hold the right amount of water to produce the proper effect is an enema or douche bulb/bottle. I kept picturing myself walking up to the register of Walgreens carrying several douche and enema bulbs and trying not to laugh. Yes, it's a bit immature but you've got to admit that it would appear a little odd. If I try to explain it would only make it worse. I would say something like," I'm a clown. It's for my work. Really. It's gonna be funny." I think I need MacGyver's help. I love being a clown.

By the way, I've posted links to the websites below for Peachy Keene and Leon McBryde. They're both master prop builders and really nice people. Check out their sites if you get a chance.


Link





http://www.proknows.com/

http://www.peacheykeene.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...