Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Circus Memories- Opening Parade Puppets 2001


For the opening parade of the 131st edition of the Ringling show had the clowns run out to our places on the track each performing a particular skill. The were sixteen us in the alley so the usual skills were snatched up like juggling or unicycling leaving me to scramble for something to show off that wasn't already being done. After a few hours of thinking I realized I might be able to use a marionette so I asked and they o.k.ed it. I explained to the prop builders what I wanted and how it should work and they made a fantastic mini me. It was even more amazing because they had never made a marionette before.

One time during opening Bello surprised me by showing up with his own Bello marionette. He was always doing surprising things and always willing to play. That's one of the most memorable times on that tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...