Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

BLOBFEST



I really enjoy films especially those of the sci-fi, horror and fantasy genre. A couple of weekends ago I posted "The Blob" as my Sunday Morning Matinee. It's a film I hadn't seen since I was a kid back before cable t.v. when Saturday afternoon movies were part of the schedule right after the cartoons were over at noon. There was always a horror or sci-fi movie double feature to fill the afternoon. If there was anything to be learned about a particular film within the aforementioned genres I'd rely on certain magazines like Famous Monsters of Filmland, Fangoria or Starlog to name a few. These publications always had great articles and photos to satisfy a young nerdly lad's desire for pop culture knowledge. These days I don't buy magazines as often as I did back then. They've just gotten too expensive and being all grown up I've got bills to pay. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Thank goodness for the internet.

Since we hooked up to the internet around three and a half years ago we've found the neatest things. After I posted "The Blob" (Thank you Youtube) for my Sunday Morning Matinee I wanted to see what else I could dig up on the film: That's when I came across the website simply titled The Blob Site, dedicated to our beloved gelatinous monster from space. If that wasn't cool enough on the website is info for something called
Blobfest held in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania where scenes from the film were shot. One particular location was the Colonial Theater where the Blob attacks a theater full of movie goers enjoying the midnight "spook show" . As part of the event they even recreate the scene where the movie patrons run out of the theater where the blob is chowing down on his victims in a "healthfully air conditioned" auditorium. Blobfest is a three-day event that takes place in July which is the perfect time to get out of Texas.

I love this stuff. I feel like a kid again when I run across these sites. It's nice to know childhood lives on in a good number of people. That's a very good thing. I'm not sure what my point is but I guess I like the internet. Oh, and I also got a chance to show off my great achievement for the weekend: making a hyperlink.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...