Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

21st Century Nipping at My Heels!



My lovely wife Pammy, riding shotgun on our way to San Marcos for lunch with Rik Gern, Bob Abdou and Ian Varella.

David Pitts: mild- mannered illustrator and entertainer, sitting patiently as we hit the road. Not once did he ask," Are we there yet?"

Pammy, Rik Gern and David chillin' at a very cool Chinese restaurant.

Pammy is all smiles because we're socializing with grownups. We're so wild and crazy!

Two illustrators go dueled as we were waiting for the other guests to arrive. It was a ...should I say it?...It was a draw!! Bring on the corn!

It's finally happened. After a decade of putting it off, because I really don't want one, I've finally purchased a cell phone. My work as Doc Ed for the Edwards Aquifer Authority has gotten to the point where the good ol' Doc needs to be easily found. Bummer. On the bright side it's only one of those pay as you go phones and best of all I'll be reimbursed for it. I can live with that but one of these days we'll have to get one of our own.

Today I found myself on the far side of San Antonio. Actually I was in the town of Von Ormy, just a hop, skip and a jump from town for a Doc Ed show at Barrera Elementary. When I last visited the school it was early winter. The day was grey, windy and cold. I really enjoy that kind of day because a good cold winter day is somewhat uncommon round these parts. This time around it was warm and muggy but very cloudy because of the nearby storm system just to the east. In fact, as I traveled southbound down hwy 35 I caught a few sprinkles that really got my hopes up that we'd finally be getting some serious rain. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few minutes then the clouds moved away and it was bone dry again. Alas.

I posted a the few shots I took at our lunch yesterday. We were having so much fun I forgot to take photos after a while. What can I say. I was to busy gabbing and laughing. The last time we socialized with fellow show folk was in Salado at Granger Esch's place. That was a year ago. Along with the laughs with met and made new friends. It was great. We need to get out more. Sheesh!

I wanted to post a link to this ventriloquist website where Bob posted a photo of all of us at the restaurant. If you go to their blog section you'll find the photo in today's entry:

http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com/

The website itself is great. If you're a fan of ventriloquism and variety entertainment this site is a treasure. Check it out. By the way, we finally got the puppets from Bob and they look great. Thanks Bob. We'll put them to good use. I'll post some photos of them soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...