Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Making Funny Faces





Celebrity portraits I made for use as samples at the parties I worked as a caricature artist. I tried my hand at political cartoons but I found it more fun to draw celebrities and the average "Joe" .

I've always enjoyed drawing caricatures but not the kind that you do in three minutes at a party (though I've done that before) but the kind that Mort Drucker popularized in Mad Magazine and those found in editorial cartoons. It's portraiture with a twist that appeals greatly to me and is the great equalizer(second only to the Grim Reaper) because you can caricature anyone. You simply have to look at the op-ed page to see caricature used in a powerful way. Editorial cartoonists are the modern day court jesters. Even to this day, the pen is mightier than the sword. Power to the people y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...