Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Last Night's ArtSlam


My neighbors at ArtSlam last night.

Last night's MartialArtSlam was a lot of fun. No rain. Whew! Unfortunately I didn't sell my piece though it had a lot of admirers "ooohing" and "aaahing" as well as taking photos of it. The older folks in the crowd  got a kick out of it especially. They got the Queen reference right away. It's my first "mashup" I think, and the first of many for sure.

During the course of the evening I chatted with some of my fellow artists. Some remembered me from the last time. Steve, my friend from back when I worked at Ripley's Hauted Adventure was also there doing his thing. He had some words of advice to share about selling art around town. He's a very smart young man.

A young lady and her friend stopped by my spot to check out my work. The young lady, it turned out, was a designer making very unique craft items that are very beautiful and intricate. Her business is called Luxy Loli. I would describe her work for you but it wouldn't do it justice. You can check out her work at this link:

 http://www.etsy.com/people/LUXYLOLI

 It was really impressive and I thought I'd share it here because, as artists, I think we should work together as much as we can. It's not an easy business to be in.

I spoke to the father of one young artist there that evening doing large spray can art paintings who told me his son had been in six art shows so far this month and would be in several more around town before the months end. Wow!  



My art piece for last night's event. Love "dem" turtles!

It looked like there were more artists last night than at the previous event. There were tables full of art to sell as the artists painted their auction piece. It would be obvious to anyone there that the artists  work very hard to do what they love and it was very inspiring to around such fun creative spirits. 

 I hope to take part in the next ArtSlam which will be in November. I don't get out enough. I'm usually tied to my drawing table. I need to socialize more and this is such a great way do that an paint under the stars. Who could ask for anything more! 

What it looked like from my spot. This time around I was away from the those large freight doors that led to the stage. This was taken right before the doors were opened for the evening's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...