Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday Roundup

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhsb_VlnWZ_65kXvdYefQ5x0157Qz_fFMb6TlcF94vdg_0JnC0aXSBKF8cCKi_J_JcEH-ERbw6B43vjm6Ro99WmeViD_VzVp7ZaJkoAIuD37W7rhFgDDdOO7KAAD4GBTZPtNb0DtVES5Q/s1600/Torrey+Park+25.jpg

Good ol' Doc in his original costume.


This month has been busy with rehearsals and meetings at the Edwards Aquifer Authority to see how the Doc Ed shows can be improved. So far, so good. I've also got to shop around for a new costume for good ol' Doc. The costumes I've been using for the last three years still look good but it wouldn't hurt to add a twist to the look.

On top of that I'm in the middle of making new props for the new Doc Ed show geared for the kindergarten audiences. Since the audience is pretty young I've got a little more leeway to be playful with the kids as I talk about the Edwards Aquifer in the simplest terms possible. My next kindergarten show is next week so I have to finish all the props no later than mid-week. Very exciting.

http://slanguagestudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/IMG_6763.jpg

One of many beautiful murals painted by the San Anto Cultural Arts mural crews.

Beyond that I've been looking to get back into the visual arts world a little more. Earlier in the week I stopped by the offices of San Anto Cultural Arts. They do a lot of different things for the community on the west side of San Antonio including mural painting. In late 2002 I worked as part of a mural crew for them. I missed painting outdoors on huge walls so it was nice to get back into it. Other opportunities presented themselves soon after and I lost touch with them. Happily, they're still around a going strong. I'm hoping to get a chance to paint for them again this spring if possible. For more info go their site here .



http://blog.mysanantonio.com/latinlife/files/2011/03/tejano.jpg

Last year's winning entry for the Tejano Conjunto Festival poster contest.

I'm also going to submit an entry to the Tejano Conjunto Poster contest. The winner receives a cash prize of $1,000. That's good motivation for a father of two. The last time I participated was ten years ago and it's time to try again. I'm just looking to shake things up a bit to see what develops and if anything does I'll be very happy and if nothing happens at least I tried. I've got to be positive, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...