Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Life


I'm on the verge of inking this drawing. No more fussing. Tomorrow I will sling some ink!


Summer is coming to a close very soon for our household with school starting for our kids next week. It was a good summer overall but it wasn't as productive as I would have liked it to be. I'm the type that needs to be working regularly in order to feel good about myself. If I'm not working I start to think. Thinking bad. Drawing good.

Unfortunately things have been kind of slow around here so I've busied myself making pieces for my portfolio and others for exhibiting at comic book type conventions and other related events. So far so good. I've got a few pieces I'm happy with and will hopefully sell. It's a long shot at best but it's a worthwhile one for myself because ever since I graduated with a Fine Arts degree in 1988 I've been trying to work as a fine artist when I should have going after the commercial art brass ring.

Actually before graduating from college I applied for admission to the
Joe Kubert School of Cartoon Graphics and Animation and to my utter delight was accepted. I remember speaking to Joe Kubert himself over the phone prior to being accepted. He wanted me to be dead certain I understood what I was getting myself into when I'd go to his school and I did. But as luck or karma would have it I couldn't raise the money to go. That was a major bummer.

I think it was meant to be, though, because had I gone that route I might never have met my wife, raised a family or gotten into acting or the circus; my life would have been radically different. I think I would have done well at the school and had a fine career in the comic art field but I would have missed out on a lot of wonderful things. Besides I'm not dead yet. I still intend on trying my hand at making my own comic book.

I consider the last twenty three years (Oh, man!) as the best times of my adult life which have given me many wonderful experiences and memories not to mention a great family, plus, as a bonus, have provided me with enough material to explore and inspire me for the rest of my life. The adventure continues!!

Did I just digress or what?! Back to work, kids and thanks for letting me ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...