Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Here's the Thing


Okay, so once again the impatient child in me couldn't wait to show you my next drawing. I'm a fan of John W. Campbell's writing especially the short story "Who Goes There?", (1938), which eventually became the Howard Hawk's 1951 classic, "The Thing from Another World". Years later John Carpenter did his own take on it but simply titled his film "The Thing". His version was more faithful to the original story about this alien creature that could take on the appearance of any living being including people.

I've decided to draw the older version because it just appeals to me a bit more. There's something about black and white film that really suited this tale of fear, paranoia and isolation in the bleak Antartic landscape. And of course the Thing is played by the late great James Arness of "Gunsmoke" fame. Bonus! I should have the drawing completed in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...