Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Roundup

Bowden Elementary's namesake: Dr. Artemisia A. Bowden.



Another great east side school: Highland Park Elementary.


The prehistoric history of our Edwards Aquifer is the subject of this presentation.

Playing with the kids is an important part of the presentation.

Another fun show comes to an end.

This week was all about Doc Edwards with some office work sprinkled in between for fun. The last school I performed at was Bowden Elementary on the east side of town not too far from the Carver Cultural Center. The kids were very enthusiastic. In fact I have to say that they were the most fun group of kids I've done presentations for all year. The kids were fourth graders who asked plenty of questions afterward and made me extra glad that I do what I do for a living especially when I visit a school in an economically disadvantaged neighborhood.

These are very difficult times for communities across the country. There now exists a very real possibility that things almost certainly will worsen for the middle and lower income populations before all is said and done. It's happening as we speak across the nation. The situation in Wisconsin is a fine example. Here in Texas, a right to work state, things aren't any better. To say that Texas is a business friendly state is a gross understatement. Here in Texas the rule of thumb has been to reduce or eliminate state funding for a multitude of programs at the expense of the average Texan while providing tax incentives (huge tax breaks) to big businesses. It's been like that for years.

I try to keep a positive attitude but sometimes the news can be very grim. I don't like the what I've seen and read but I have to remain optimistic. I can't lose hope. When I look at the faces of those school children I also see the faces of my own children too and know that I can't lose hope. And hope does exist as is evidenced by the demonstrations and rallies taking place across the country to bring to light these injustices.

It's helps to laugh in times like these. As a clown I know that to laugh at authority diminishes their power and stature to a manageable level. That's why I'm so grateful for Jon Stewart and his crew of political junkies on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. They put it all in perspective with laughter and and brutal honesty. Below is a link to the center for Media and Democracy, a watchdog group and the Texas State Teachers Association for info on the efforts being made to prevent cuts to school funding across the state. The last but not least is a link to an episode of the Daily Show covering current topics of interest as only they can do. Thanks for your time.


http://www.prwatch.org/headlines

http://www.tsta.org/

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-march-10-2011-trey-parker---matt-stone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...