Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Doc Ed Show


In late 2007 my wife and I were hired to write an educational show for the Edwards Aquifer Authority featuring their character Doc Ed, who is an aquifer explorer. I was lucky enough to also be hired to play the part of good ol' Doc and I'm still at it . This show is written for a first to fourth grade level and introduces the kids to the Edwards Aquifer.

Now as any performer knows it's hard to get a steady gig and even harder to make a living from it. It can sometimes be a roller coaster ride for any crazy soul who decides to work in the performing arts. Pam and I have different things we can do when one side of the arts slows down or runs dry. I've got a Fine Arts degree and have applied it to a variety of work including illustration.

In early 2007 I was doing some art work for Raining Popcorn Media ( A family- owned and San Antonio- based educational media company) illustrating an activity book for the Edwards Aquifer Authority featuring Doc Ed. I never knew they were thinking about a live version of Doc but my art director did and he knew about my background as a performer. One thing leads to another and ba-da-bing! We've got a steady gig and don't have to juggle bills so much.

Now here's the thing: Would I have heard about this really good acting job if I hadn't been in the loop? Probably not. I'm not even sure how they would have advertised for the position but having that "in" put me on the fast track to an audition. It really helped that my art director put in a good word for me too so thank you Mr. Avila! Plus I knew a good opportunity when I saw it and I've worked in front of kids before so that wasn't a problem.
Every day that I don't have to clock in to at a "real job" is a blessing for me because outside of my illustration work, which can be just as much of a wild ride as performing, I don't have much to offer to the time clock job market. I wont be burning anyone's burgers and fries, at least for the time being. But I also know you can never say never.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...